School History

St Martin’s School has been educating children in its current location since it first opened in 1914 when Miss Haines and Miss Candy founded the school. Whilst retaining all the advantages of a small, ‘homely’ environment, the school uses modern resources to enhance its traditional focus on core skills within a broad curriculum. The school benefits from a large grassed sports field in addition to a playground and utilises the local leisure centre (situated just along Stokewood Road) for additional sports activity and weekly swimming lessons.

Throughout its 100+ year history, the school has retained a reputation for excellence, particularly in the academic achievements of its pupils. All children leave St Martin’s well prepared for the rigours of the next phase of their education. The vast majority of pupils meet the requirements for selective grammar school admission (on average, 90% of children), with many also being offered scholarships to independent schools.

map-1909.jpg map-1924.jpg map-1943.jpg



This stained glass window located within the St Martins school building was first dedicated in 1964 when it was installed in Holy Trinity Church, Bournemouth. When that church closed, the Friends of the School again subscribed so that the window could be restored and placed at St Martin’s. It was rededicated by Canon J.T. Bagnall on St Martin’s Day 1977.